Friday, August 5, 2016

30,000 Rocky, Lovely, Rugged, Windswept Islands

Georgian Bay, Ontario            Small Boat Channel                            August 2, 2016

A bit of miscommunication about our starting time but eventually we were off with our other two looper boats and partners in today’s cruise. Another sublime day with warm temps and winds, but not overly so…As Bob said earlier, “Following this channel is like following a congo line with all the snaky twists and turns it does…” (Once again we heard another boater announcing over Channel 13 he hit the wall coming out of Lock 45 with that awful current & winds there!) It reminds us all how careful we have to be up here with rocks and more rocks…currents and more currents, wind and more wind…YIKES!!!   So glad dad is driving, he is so very careful! 

Saw a charming tiny lighthouse on one of the numerous islands with a small helicopter taking off. Came around a bend to see a magnificent house with a lighthouse like portion to it…behind it was another helicopter taking off; moving a tall pole??? Lots of helicopters and seaplanes up here, and it is easy to see why with all these islands everywhere!

Mom decided it was time to put up our screen doors and windows around the boat to try to keep out the creepy, flying critters…I’m really enjoying the salon with all the fresh air and no bugs to bother me…don’t know why she didn’t do it before this? However, just as I was getting settled for a nap, she opened up this smelly stuff and started messing with her toenails…PEE UUU! So grateful, she didn’t use that crap on my nails when she trimmed them yesterday!

We arrived into Echo Bay to Massasauga, a Canadian Parks approved anchorage…really pretty and there were a number of other boaters here… Trying to get me on and off the dingy to go on these rocky outposts was not easy…the first time, went ok…By then M & D were hot and just wanted to put their bathing suits on and jump into that clear, cold water… You should have heard the screams! Definitely, not the 88 degrees they are use to!!! I kept whining trying to encourage them the get out, but they seemed to enjoy it with Bob and Liz. When they finally got out…I got my treat and then dinner before dock tails… 

M & D decided to take me in our dingy and Brandy in Bob and Liz’s dingy for one last pee and a run around Echo Island. It started out ok because I was able to jump from the dingy to the rock, but getting back into the dingy was a different matter. Mom had to pull me into the water to get me back into the dingy…I was not happy with this predicament! She had to lift me from the water into the boat, but she was laughing so hard it made it more difficult!!! I made sure she got wet as well! Being nervous from my new experience, I was less than impressed, as we took our little spin and very happy to see Moondance again! As dad was checking the generator to make sure it was running well, he spilled my treats, so I was really enjoying myself until mom figured it out…

Both of our boats retired early but not before dad took lots of photos of this area…from the boat and the dingy.



As you initially approach the channel those two red markers have to be over the top of one another

Look at the boat in the distance, he had just made one of the many twisting turns

We kept trying to decide if it was one home or two but it was one

Here's the side view

Look in front of the helicopter and you can see what he was getting ready to lift

We couldn't see where he was taking this to...

There are so many various and interesting lighthouse structures up here


The original Henry's restaurant was lots smaller than the one we went to at Wye Heritage

Our anchorage in Massasauga

the trick of anchoring is where to take Lily to do her business

Before we both ended up partially wet from getting back into the dingy

Bob, Liz and Brandy on our cruise around Echo Island

Coming back to our boats before the mosquitoes carried us off

Here's Moondance rafted off of Knot Sew Easy


Parry Sound, Ontario          Big Sound Marina                                 August 3, 2016

Today I was a little more ready to get into the dingy to go do my business…Dad pulled up to a floating dock, mom helped me to jump off and I did what I had to and came back…only my one paw got wet this time on your swim platform! I was really proud of myself. We came back to the boat and I jumped right off like I had been doing it forever! I was really happy when we pulled into Big Sound Marina before 11 AM, so I could really take care of business!!! It’s a bit more overcast and humid today, but thankfully no really strong winds to make it difficult for dad navigating…Especially, since we were going through the 7 Mile Narrows with lots of other people going to work…

I’m hoping M & D will jump off for awhile so I can get a good nap in… They did go up town for a bit and came back for a quick docktails with Kevin and Steve from Lone Star. They went to dinner with Lone Star and a new looper couple from Fourth Quarter, Syl and Jim...another really delightful couple! Mom brought me back leftovers. She and dad said that Parry Sound was nice, but not really pretty the way some of the other towns have been. I was happy that mom went to bed early, so I could join her! 


The Island Queen out of Parry Sound and one of the many seaplanes flying in and out of here, as we watch

We had to wait for this swing bridge to open before we could come into Parry Sound

All the town resides on the hills between the sound

One of the gorgeous houses tucked around Parry Sound, you can see the swing bridge in the background

Another interesting but blurry (sorry) lighthouse

One of the many commercial boats going to work

Lily and Mike navigating while I took photos and read


                                 Just one of the many serene scenes we pass each day
Love seeing these cottages perched up on the hillsides

So many varied type of barges here

another waterside playground

Some of these barges went to these houses perched along the water to clean out their septic tanks or bring them water...whatever was needed... 

Parry Sound, Courthouse

1914 Trestle that goes across the sound here

The Hemp Tent sign amused me




No comments:

Post a Comment