Thursday, October 13, 2016

"The Key West of the Mid West where Two Rivers Meet"

Grafton, IL                   Mile Marker 0  - Grafton Harbor                                 10/11-13/2016

Another serene morning on the water as we dodge big logs and even bigger barges. I’m dying to get to land since I need to do Numero Two.  UGH! Thankfully, we don’t have a long run today to get to Grafton. Mom has me scheduled to see a vet tomorrow morning for my funky eye. She worries about me so much! 

Don’t know what got into mom this AM. She made mini quiches for all of us this morning. It was a nice surprise!!! It’s so much more fun to travel with another boat since we can spend time together and help each other with problems. It definitely is one of the pluses of doing
this crazy adventure!


                                                     Salt Lick behind us today


Not sure what this boat use to be???

Took this image for Valerie, her next cabin project, painting the roof???

A car ferry landing, the second we have seen on the Illinois River

The car ferry coming towards us

We have seen so few older homes as we traveled this river, that we have been surprised 

Mom is so happy for me and I’m just embarrassed! I finally had to poo in the boat, but mom was so nice and even gave me a cookie! Boy, how times have changed!!! Fortunately, we arrived at Grafton around 1 PM and mom immediately took me for a walk…PHEWWW!!! They are so nice here that we may stay 3 nights at least…to try and fit in a day in St. Louis, and one day for boat and Lily stuff tomorrow. 

What a nice marina too! Lovely people helping out and once again boaters willing to grab a line. Mom’s Amazon boxes were here waiting for us which was great! We love their signs here…Grafton Harbor, “The Key West of the Midwest.” It is right where the Illinois joins with the Mississippi River. The town climbs the hills by the river here. 

With the hills we are seeing more houses perched up there

Coming into Grafton Harbor

Grafton Harbor and the Oyster Bar

The next marina down river

Key West of the Midwest, Mile Marker 0

Sunset over the Marina


Sunrise looking down river

Six of them met for dinner at the Oyster Bar here and had not only a terrific dinner, but a fun time! Bird of Prey; Steve and Vivian were here as well as about 5 other loopers. Mom said Steve and Vivian had them all in stitches!!! Janet gave mom her leftover catfish for me, so she is my new BFF!


Salt Lick and Star Dust, two other loopers beside us

Mom woke up early to use the courtesy van to take me to the vets. I wasn’t especially happy riding in a van, but no one ever asks me! The vet was very nice, but he wasn’t too sure what was going on with my eye & face…something neurological for sure. He gave me some pills that might help or not??? 

Just when I think she can't jump up anymore...

I’m not in pain…I just look like I have a Halloween face on…Mom made another Walmart run afterwards to load up on more goodies for us. 
Dad is back on the boat with two mechanics, Dave and Dave (Of course mom had to tease them about Daryll, Daryll and my other brother Daryll) looking over our electrical systems and batteries…just being thorough before we move on… Everything looked good there and they showed dad how to clean out our shower filters so they drain faster! 
(It’s the little things in life that can make such a BIG difference to your creature comforts!)

M & D had another wonderful Oyster Bar dinner with a bunch of loopers last night. We will miss them all since all but Janet have moved on today. As always we hope to run into them down the way somewhere? Mom and dad stayed another day just to get caught up on boat cleaning, laundry and paying bills. 

Aaron, the Oyster Bar bartender that we loved!

Can't see how gorgeous Vivian is here since she is kidding around!!!


Tom and Rich on Star Dust look very blue thanks to sitting under a Blue Moon sign, their wives let them go on this adventure...

Janet and Hank

Steve and Vivian on Bird of Prey, they are beyond funny together!!!

We have one more anchorage Hoppie’s tomorrow night before we might be anchoring out for 2-4 nights depending on how fast we get through the locks? So, more "taking care of my business on the boat"…not my favorite, but I do what I can to be a good sailor!

Sounds like Janet, dad and mom are going to take the courtesy van to Alton, so they can say they have seen that town too…I’m just happy to nap for awhile! 

Downtown Alton, IL had some beautiful old buildings

We found the recommended Alton restaurant that was very worth the drive!

They kept this old Ford truck in their warehouse

It was a big old bakery once upon a time and, now, a long walk to the bar/restaurant!

They added this sign in fact...

Always thought it would be cool to have a stairs like this one

Mike and Janet made it

Here we are with our lunches, but missing Hank!

After lunch we had the honor to stand for about an hour in honor of another young police officer shot during a domestic violence call. Leaving behind a wife and a 2 year old son...so, so sad...


After that big lunch, they told me they are having dock tails & some small munchies on the boat with Janet later this evening before turning in early for our trek down to Hoppie's Marina tomorrow. They can't wait to get the traditional Fern lecture about the rivers and what we are to encounter!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment