Monday, May 1, 2017

Trip Research for Our May Florida Trip

Oh My Gosh...just when I think I'm not going anywhere, mom and dad start packing their bags again... This time they load themselves and me into dad's Z and we were off on a very warm April day.
The best part was being able to sit on mom's lap and hang my head out the window...so many good smells that I was overwhelmed before we got to our destination. When mom opened the door to let me out, I was so excited!!! It was Mickey and Sara's house in Marco Island! They have the best grass and yummy smelling flowers; along with funny little lizards to chase. It's heaven! When everyone leaves, they let me stay in one whole side of their house. It's so cool and clean that I nap really well.

It turns out they left to go look at Tara and Jack Garretson's dock since we might be docking there for the couple of days we are in Marco. Mom came back smelling like their dogs, Buddy and Marcos. I was not happy with her but after my delicious dinner, I guess I'll forgive her.

The next morning after a delightful breakfast, they left me to nap and took off...It seems they went to see Everglades City by car before we go there in Moondance. Mom and dad must have really enjoyed it because they came back with lots of photos. Before I knew it, we were on the road again...I do love my road trips with them but I'm always happy to smell the green grass of home.

Looking out over the NW corner of the Everglades off Route 41



Visiting the Everglades City's Smallwood Store started in 1903. Thanks, Sara and Mickey!
So much memorabilia...I felt like I was in the middle of American Pickers
Americana heaven complete with one of the Smallwood's family members and a Native American as our guide

                                       I know I'm dating myself but I recognize some of these items

Valerie, something besides cash registers were made in Dayton, Oh, who knew? LOL!

My farm relatives had this type of sink in their farmhouse back in the 1950's

Looking out from the back of the store

I can remember my grandma having one of these in her basement when I was about 5

An example of the types of boats used by locals, not very comfy looking

Loved this charming primitive painting by one of the Smallwood relatives

The Smallwood's often had to stay overnight at the store, so their kids often napped there too

It would take days for the various Native American tribes to travel here to trade their goods & pick up supplies

More views of the Smallwood quarters with another charming painting

Obviously newer additions

Love the wicker crib and the fancy potty

I was afraid to go to close to see if Grandpa was stuffed

Fun times for these two retired attorneys...
One happy retired teacher and another lovely retired attorney 
Camellia St. Grill...interesting decorations but wonderful homemade food

Convenient for work or AirBnB Everglades City Style?




No comments:

Post a Comment