Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Conquering the Big "O"

We passed lock 100 this AM at Moorehaven before entering the long Calossahatchee Canal to Lake Okeechobee. I’m getting so use to the boat now. If mom and dad aren’t careful, I’m just hopping on and off the boat at will. 
You can see grasslands for miles as you enter the lake…some type of burning is going on down here (probably sugar cane)…even I can see and smell it! According to a historical plaque by this majestic Moore Haven Cypress tree. The idea for the canal started in the late 1800’s but it wasn’t completed until the 1930’s. For years their stately Cypress is the landmark that boaters used to spot the town. 
Except for the bird population a bunch of ski-doo riders and bass fishermen, there isn’t much to see as you pass through the Calossahatchee Canal. It was another choppy ride across the lake since we are heading into a 12 knot head winds with some gusts, but mom set on the floor with me and I really love that kind of attention!!!
A relaxing day with only 3 locks today…definitely giving my mom and dad’s arms a workout! Really gorgeous homes once we passed through St. Lucie locks…otherwise, not really much happening. 

Stuart was much larger and fancier than we expected. The Harbor Ridge Yacht and Country Club is WAY BETTER THAN ADAM’S ANGLER last night. The only problem is it was a very long walk for me to empty my bladder! GEEZ!!! 
looking at Moondance from the YC patio

Lily and I chilling on the floor of the flybridge

We never get tired of gorgeous skies...this AM's view

Our friendly lock master coming out of Moore Haven


Harbor Ridge Marina & Golf Club


I was trying to capture the moon around sunset


2 comments: